203b Loan Application Checklist


The checklist below contains the most commonly-required documentation to start the process of getting an FHA 203(b) loan. However, it’s important to understand that every situation is different, so don’t rely on this list as your sole resource— and always check with your lender to determine if there’s additional documentation necessary.

  • Income Statements: You’ll need two years’ worth of income statements, including 1099s, W-2s and the like.

  • Income Tax Returns: You’ll need two years’ worth of income tax returns, unless you are self-employed, in which case you will need three years’ worth.

  • Current Profit and Loss Statement: If you are self-employed, you will need a year-to-date P&L statement.

  • Identification: You’ll need a valid driver license as well as your Social Security card.

  • Financial Information: You will need to provide three months’ worth of financial documentation, such as investment reports, earnings statements, bank account statements, retirement fund statements, and more.

  • Credit Cards: You will need to provide documentation showing your current balance with all credit cards in your name. Note that cards not in your name, but on which you are listed as an authorized user, will need to be explained.

Additional Documentation That May Be Needed (Situation Dependent):

  • Green card/work permit

  • Note and deed for current loan or owned property

  • Cosigner information (if you are the cosigner of another loan)

  • Landlord’s contact information if you currently rent a home

  • Bankruptcy documentation including discharge papers if applicable

  • Rental agreements if you own an existing multi-unit property

  • Current mortgage payment coupon

  • Homeowners’ insurance policy if you own another property

  • Property tax bill